Some of my favorite stories are the ones where I’m plopped into a new world and have to figure things out with the characters. Ones where you’re not spoon fed all the information and get exposition that makes sense or have it outside of the story itself (ie footnotes or something). And putting it with a story about extended wars from other worlds and people trying to escape so their family doesn’t get caught up in it without an escape? Yeah go ahead and sign me up for that.
Erica Schultz has that part of writing down. Which is really good because it means I can get lost in the story of Forgotten Home and not distracted by stupid exposition that you know wouldn’t actually happen in real life. Plus, and I say this totally seriously, possibly some of the best advice I’ve been given yet about how to get into comics.
Learn such things as:
- The most pragmatic “how to get into comics” answer that I’ve ever gotten.
- Leaving some mystery for your readers so they can’t just guess what’s going to happen.
- Being flexible with your writing so you can adapt as things come up.
- And so much more!
If you want to be a guest on the show please check out the Be a A Guest on the Show page and let me know what you’re interested in.
If you want to help support the show check out the Play Comics Patreon page or head over to the Support page if you want to go another route. You can also check out the Play Comics Merch Store. Use the coupon code “ireadshownotes” for 15% off your order.
Play Comics is part of the Gonna Geek Network, which is a wonderful collection of geeky podcasts. Be sure to check out the other shows on Gonna Geek if you need more of a nerd fix.
Intro/Outro Music by Best Day, who doesn’t know what the Home key on a keyboard does.
Additional Noises from ZapSplat.
- Mobile Suit Gundam Zeonic Front with Scott Wachter (Recap From Mercury) - February 26, 2024
- Dragon Ball Z Collectible Card Game with Kyle Billie (Rad(io) Shorts Podcast) - February 12, 2024
- Gundam Battle Assault 2 with Billy (CommanderCast) - February 5, 2024